USMNT – Jamaica headlines This Weekend’s Soccer on TV
Just six days after lifting the CONCACAF Nations League title for a second-consecutive year, the U.S. men’s national team’s quest to repeat as Gold Cup Champions begins Saturday at Soldier Field.
B.J. Callaghan’s squad faces off with Jamaica in their Gold Cup opener, knowing a tough test awaits. Several MLS standouts including Andre Blake and Damion Lowe headline the Reggae Boyz’s squad, as well as European players Demarai Gray, Michail Antonio, and Leon Bailey.
Several new faces enter international duty for the USMNT including Jordan Morris, Jesus Ferreira, and Aidan Morris, who were among the players not chosen for Nations League duty.
Matt Turner and Miles Robinson headline the returning players, who did feature in the Nations League schedule over the past week.
The Gold Cup continues Sunday with Mexico and Honduras kicking off Group B play at NRG Stadium. El Tri parted ways with Diego Cocca after their third-place finish in last week’s tournament, now passing the torch to Under-23 manager Jamie Lozano.
Both Mexico and Honduras will be seeking a strong Gold Cup run for respective reasons.
Major League Soccer continues with a battle for the No. 1 seed in the Western Conference when St. Louis CITY SC visits PayPal Park to take on fourth place San Jose Earthquakes. The Earthquakes go into Saturday’s match only two points behind St. Louis, looking to continue their five-match unbeaten streak.
Top table battles also take place in the Eastern Conference with second place Nashville SC hosting fifth place Columbus Crew. Gary Smith and his side are unbeaten in their last 10 league matches, which includes a 3-1 victory against the Crew back on May 28.
If you haven’t yet, be sure to sign up for your free trials of ESPN+ and Paramount+ for all your soccer streaming needs. Make sure you use these SBI-specific links to sign up today, and if you sign up for Paramount+ using our link (and use the offer code SBI) you will receive a free one-week trial.
Here is a look at This Weekend’s Top 5 Matches to Watch, as well as a full rundown of This Weekend’s Soccer on TV and Online:
This Weekend’s Top 5 Matches to Watch
1. United States vs. Jamaica – A new-look USMNT squad faces a tough test against a rejuvenated Jamaica squad.
2. Mexico vs. Honduras – Mexico and Honduras go head-to-head in Group B’s first match of the CONCACAF Gold Cup.
3. San Jose Earthquakes vs. St. Louis City SC – After dropping points last weekend, St. Louis CITY SC travels to face the surging San Jose Earthquakes.
4. Nashville SC vs. Columbus Crew – Second place hosts fifth in Eastern Conference play as Nashville SC faces off with the Columbus Crew.
5. Palmeiras vs. Botafogo – Palmeiras will put its 10-match unbeaten run on the line against Serie A leaders Botafogo.
HERE for this weekend’s schedule: