MLS preseason 2023: FC Dallas, San Jose Earthquakes gain momentum | MLSSoccer.com
Thursday’s MLS preseason slate saw three teams compete, and one apiece from the Eastern and Western Conferences secured victories.
FC Dallas 1, Hammarby IF 0
FC Dallas closed out their preseason trip to Marbella, Spain with a 1-0 win over Swedish top-flight (Allsvenskan) side Hammarby IF.
A tried-and-true connection was the difference, as Alan Velasco’s precise through ball was finished by Paul Arriola at the hour mark. Both wingers joined via big-money deals in 2022; Velasco’s arrival from Argentina’s Independiente set an FCD transfer record, while Arriola’s arrival from D.C. United set an MLS trade record.
- DAL starting XI: Maarten Paes – Marco Farfan, José Martínez, Sebastien Ibeagha, Ema Twumasi – Facundo Quignon, Paxton Pomykal, Tsiki Ntsabeleng – Alan Velasco, Jesús Ferreira, Paul Arriola
San Jose Earthquakes 2, D.C. United 1
The Earthquakes notched a 2-1 victory over D.C. United at the Coachella Valley Invitational on Thursday, staying undefeated (3W-0L-1D) in preseason camp.
D.C. halved their deficit in the second frame via Taxi Fountas‘ penalty kick, but that ultimately wasn’t enough as they return to the nation’s capital.
- 23′ – SJ – Jamiro Monteiro
- 31′ – SJ – Cristian Espinoza
- 70′ – DC – Taxi Fountas (PK)
- SJ starting XI: JT Marcinkowski – Miguel Trauco, Tanner Beason, Rodrigues, Paul Marie – Carlos Gruezo, Jackson Yueill, Jamiro Monteiro – Cade Cowell, Jeremy Ebobisse, Cristian Espinoza
- DC starting XI: Alex Bono – Ruan, Matai Akinmboni, Steve Birnbaum, Mohanad Jeahze – Pedro Santos, Victor Palsson, Russell Canouse, Mateusz Klich – Taxi Fountas, Christian Benteke