Man City star ready to leave The Etihad
Manchester City ended a run of four Premier League games without a win by beating Luton Town 2-1 at Kenilworth Road on Sunday.
The Citizens were winless in their previous four games and manager Pep Guardiola was hoping to avoid going five games without victory for the first time in his managerial career.
City dominated the first-half but were unable to find a breakthrough, and fell behind when Elijah Adebayo headed the Hatters in front moments before the break.
Luton have already drawn against Liverpool and came close to getting a result against Arsenal at home this term, but they were unable to pick up any points against the reigning Premier League champions.
Two quick-fire goals from Bernardo Silva and Jack Grealish turned the game on its head and put Guardiola’s side in front, and the Citizens held on to secure all three points.
In the wake of the victory, though, it has emerged that one of City’s fringe players is ready to leave the club.
According to Football Insider, midfielder Kalvin Phillips is now prepared to leave the club and end his frustrating spell in Manchester.
Phillips, 28, joined City from boyhood club Leeds United last summer but has struggled to force his way into Guardiola’s starting XI.
The Englishman has made just 29 appearances for the club across all competitions, with new signings Mateo Kovacic and Matheus Nunes seemingly ahead of him in the pecking order.
He is said to be ‘focussed on the future’ and has now decided that he is ready to leave The Etihad in January.
Despite costing City a reported £45 million last year, Phillips has made just eight appearances so far this term, and is yet to start a Premier League match.
Premier League clubs Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur, and West Ham United are all said to be interested in signing Phillips in January, while Italian giants Juventus are also credited with an interest.