Liverpool have second offer for midfielder rejected
Liverpool face Bayern Munich on Wednesday in their penultimate pre-season friendly before the Premier League begins.
Jurgen Klopp’s side play against Darmstadt next week, before traveling to London to face rivals Chelsea in their first match of the new Premier League season.
The German will be hoping that his side can improve on their performance in the league last season, when they finished fifth and therefore missed out on a place in the Champions League this time around.
So far this summer the Reds have completed the signings of Alexis Mac Allister and Dominik Szoboszlai, although both Fabinho and Jordan Henderson have left Anfield to join Saudi Arabian clubs.
However, with Naby Keita, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and James Milner having left the club earlier this summer, Klopp is keen to bolster his options in midfield ahead of the start of the season.
Despite this, it appears that Liverpool have had a second offer rejected for one of their top targets.
According to 90min, Liverpool have seen a second bid for midfielder Romeo Lavia rejected by Championship side Southampton.
The Merseyside outfit are said to have had a £35 million offer for the player rejected last week, and the Saints have now dismissed a second bid believed to be worth £42 million after add-ons.
Southampton are said to be standing firm on their £50 million valuation of the player, having spent just £10.5 million to lure the player from Manchester 12 months ago.
Lavia, 19, joined Southampton from Manchester City last summer and impressed during his first season at St. Mary’s, making 34 appearances across all competitions.
Despite being one of the Saints’ most impressive performers, Lavia was unable to prevent his side from being relegated to the second tier.
The Belgium under-21 international looks almost certain to leave the south coast side this summer, with Southampton said to be willing to let him leave if their valuation is met.