Blow for Liverpool as young star snubs Anfield move
Liverpool will be looking to close the gap on the Premier League’s top four when they travel to the south coast to face Brighton and Hove Albion on Saturday.
Jurgen Klopp’s side have struggled so far this term and currently occupy sixth place, with a seven-point gap between The Reds and the Champions League qualification places.
Last season’s FA Cup and Carabao Cup winners have already added Dutchman Cody Gakpo to their squad this month, but it remains to be seen whether or not there will be more new arrivals at Anfield.
In the meantime, it appears that the club have already missed out on one target.
According to Fabrizio Romano, Liverpool were in talks to sign Nordsjaelland forward Andreas Schjelderup.
The 18-year-old has established himself as a regular for the Danish side over the past 18 months, but Romano now claims that he is on the verge of joining Portuguese club Benfica.
The winger will reportedly join the Portuguese side for around £12.5 million, but it is claimed that Liverpool were in talks over a proposed summer move for the teenager.
Schjelderup was said to have been tempted by a move to Merseyside, however the prospect of more first team opportunities in Lisbon appealed more and he has therefore decided to move to Portugal.
In 56 senior appearances for Nordsjaelland, the youngster has scored 17 goals and provided five assists.
The teenager is versatile and can play as a striker or attacking midfielder, but he is usually deployed as a left winger.
His performances have attracted interest from a number of clubs, but it is Benfica that appear to have won the race for the Norway youth international’s signature.
The player is expected to sign a long-term deal when he joins Benfica, keeping him tied to the Portuguese club until 2028.
He is said to have already passed his medical ahead of the move, so an official announcement is expected imminently.